ImageEn and IEvolution Support Forum
 TWAIN_32.DLL or TWAINDSM.DLL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ralf

112 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  02:45:22  Show Profile  Reply
Hi,

in the Twain 2.4 Spezifikation I found an Information witch DLL should be used.
I had a look in the imscan.pas and found, that only $ifdef WIN64 the TWAINDSM.DLL is used. Is there any reason why?

Would it not be better to use the TWAINDSM.Dll if available? And if not to use the TWAIN_32.dll? Im not sure if it is available or installed on all Systems.

Here the part of the Spezifikation:
All TWAIN 2.x Applications must use TWAINDSM.DLL. All TWAIN 2.x Sources must be prepared to work with either TWAINDSM.DLL or TWAIN_32.DLL, which may still be used by older Applications.

Applications that wish to use access the Data Source Manager, must install it themselves. Please refer to the TWAIN website http://www.twain.org to obtain this file and for installation instructions. This DSM is fully backwards compatible with all versions of TWAIN. The Application Installer may include a Data Source Manager merge module: http://sourceforge.net/projects/twain-dsm/files/

The TWAIN DSM is a shared library named TWAINDSM.DLL. There is a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of this file. TWAINDSM.DLL is installed in the Windows System directory (normally C:\Windows\System32). If installing the 32-bit file on a 64-bit system, it needs to end up in the WOW64 System directory (normally C:\Windows\SysWow64). By including the TWAIN DSM merge module in the application installer, the DSM is installed in the correct location.

[/i]

Thanks
Ralf

xequte

38176 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  00:35:59  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Ralf

I have not seen a situation where TWAIN_32 is not available, but TWAINDSM is. Have you?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Ralf

112 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  11:24:14  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel,

the question is why you use Twain_32 and not TwainDSM. Is there any technical reason? What's positiv if i use TwainDSM?

Thanks
Ralf
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38176 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  17:20:14  Show Profile  Reply
Sorry, I see what you mean.

For legacy reasons, we use TWAIN_32.dll. It has not caused any compatibility issues with both old and new Twain devices, so we have not changed it.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: