ImageEn and IEvolution Support Forum
 Changing Image Size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnnyT

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  13:35:43  Show Profile  Reply
I've read many posts in regards to this subject which still leave me wondering as to what the best approach is.

I have 96 DPI BMP's that measure 816 W X 1344 H.
I want to bump these to 200 DPI but try to maintain quality/aspect ratio for onscreen viewing and printing.

What is the preferred method?

Thanks,

John

xequte

38176 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  00:31:04  Show Profile  Reply
Hi John

Generally you can think of DPI as nothing more than advice to the printer on the size to print the image.

So if you change the DPI of an image from 96 to 200 without changing the resolution (pixel size) it will print at half the size (presumably with slightly better quality).

If you scale the image and change its DPI from 96 to 200, you will get basically the same output as the original.

So, I guess the question is, what are you trying to achieve by updating the DPI?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

JohnnyT

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  20:25:12  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks Nigel.

I'm trying to do the latter...I think.
The problem arises from users using new tablet machines. The saved 96 DPI BMPs print at 1/4 the size of older laptops. The display of the BMP is impacted as well, (smaller) but less dramatically. I want to fix the problem on these new machines without breaking how it is displayed on the older machines...which I guess means I have to detect the display properties and react accordingly.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38176 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  01:10:13  Show Profile  Reply
Hi John

Generally computers and other devices should ignore DPI for display (using only the pixel size to decide its display size). I'm surprised if you are seeing something different.

Of course it is often used when printing. You set the DPI to 48 (without scaling) to print the image at twice the size. This should not affect the quality (because the image data itself has not changed).

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

JohnnyT

USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  09:58:57  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks Nigel.

I'll experiment with DPI settings for printing purposes.

John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: