Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ImageEn Library for Delphi, C++ and .Net
 ImageEn and IEvolution Support Forum
 TImageEnView and OnDShowNewFrame and ShowModal?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whisper1980

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  19:05:11  Show Profile  Reply
I have a standalone app using DirectShow with TImageEnView and it shows the camera's video as expected. If I conditionally compile it as a form in my main app and show the form using ShowModal, nothing gets displayed in the TImageEnView because the OnDShowNewFrame event does not occur so I cannot update the view.

However, if I show the form using Show rather than ShowModal it works fine, i.e. the OnDShowNewFrame gets triggered and the TImageEnView shows the video.

What could I possibly be missing?? I can certainly code it using Show, but I just don't understand why ShowModal alone would break it. I would prefer to have it be Modal. It is probably something stupid on my part like a missing property value, but I just don't know what it is. ShowModal version still captures the video to a file, it just does not trigger that event to update the view.

Also, ShowPropertyPages does not work when using ShowModal, but works when using Show. Example:
ImageEnView1.IO.DShowParams.ShowPropertyPages(iepVideoInput, ietFilter, false);

Makes me wonder if the Modality is somehow preventing certain window messages from reaching ImageEnView when used in a Modal form if not the main form

Eric

xequte

38176 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  19:40:12  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Eric

If OnDShowNewFrame is not being called, it usually means that the TImageEnView does not have a valid handle (i.e. has no parent). So if you are creating it dynamically, ensure you set ImageEnView1.Parent := MyForm1;

If you have added the TImageEnView to a form (at design time), then I'm at a loss. Please email me a simple demo that reproduces it.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.imageen.com
Go to Top of Page

whisper1980

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  19:48:29  Show Profile  Reply
Yes, it is being created at design time on a form (I did see that other post about dynamic creation of the view and for grins I tried setting the parent since it was in a panel on the form... no change in behavior).

I've since changed the logic to use the Show method since I had to move forward and wasn't a big deal and might be a better solution for me since that is what I was doing for doing snapshots in another form. However, I'll try to get you a demo since it is rather easy to convert back to ShowModal to include in a demo.

Eric
Go to Top of Page

whisper1980

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2021 :  18:51:02  Show Profile  Reply
I am back on this again trying to debug an issue with FFmpeg. I can capture an AVI video with your tools and encode to an MP4 using FFVCL/FFmpeg multiple times with my standalone app. When I try to use that same form/code in my other project and use Show to open the form, it only captures and encodes once. If I try again, I get a Overflow error in avutil-56.dll (part of FFmpeg). Same friggin code.

So I went back to try ShowModal, and as mentioned over a year ago, it does not show or capture the video in the ImageEnView, nor does OnDShowNewFrame get invoked.

I know you have nothing to do with FFMpeg, but I am wondering if the same issue where OnDShowNewFrame does not get called is somehow related to why avutil-56.dll is getting an overflow error.

So my question is, have you figured out any other possibilities as to why OnDShowNewFrame does not get called on a Modal form? It might lend me some insight on my FFmpeg problem. Grasping at straws so-to-speak.

I could have sworn I could capture and encode multiple times until just recently. I suspect a recent Windows update has something to do with it because customers just started to report the problem and nothing else has changed.

Update:
I narrowed the overflow issue down to being due to a button click, but it only interfered when running the same exact code in my main app, not in a test app. My guess is some sort of 3rd party tool (not ImageEn at all) is interfering somehow. I found if I post a message to myself on the button click and then do the encoding on receipt of the message, it works fine. So very strange.

Eric
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38176 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  18:26:23  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Eric

That's the problem with Windows API's. When they work well they provide a lot of functionality, but when they have weird issues...

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.imageen.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: