Recompile In Rad Studio 2007
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy_Bell

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  11:48:44  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

I've edited the .inc file to allow for faster JPEGs etc, but I can't successfully recompile.

I've tried the compile.bat in the source/Delphi11 folder. It's setup to look for %ProgramFiles% rather than %ProgramFiles(x86)% but after correcting that it still fails saying it cannot find paths etc.

After fruitlessly trying to fix it, I decided to manually recompile the packages in Rad Studion 2007 and install them myself.

That, after setting a few paths, works but the generated C++ headers are wrong and my project fails with all sorts of messages about incorrect definitions.

For example, iexBitmaps.hpp line 1480 is

class DELPHICLASS TIETagsHandler;
#pragma pack(push,4)
struct TIEEXIFMakerNoteDeviceInfo
{

public:
AnsiString signature;
int sigbypass;
iexBitmaps__72 base;
iexBitmaps__82 headerType;
TTIFFHeader TIFFHeader;
iexBitmaps__92 byteOrder;
} ;
#pragma pack(pop)

and the C++ compiler doesn't like iexBitmaps__72 base; or iexBitmaps__82 headerType; saying it was expecting a type name.

I've compared the headers from the ones in your installer and the recompiled ones and they are significantly different.

My main question is 'could we not have the option on install to turn on the faster loading?' I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to use it and the cost (distribute one tiny .dll) is hardly an issue...

Clearly there is some setting or other in my Rad Studio 2007 that is causing the header files to be wrong, and I don't have time to spend ages trying to figure it out...

Are you able to assist with any of this? Either getting compile.bat to work and generate the right code or telling me what settings to use in the IDE to successfully compile the packages?

Or, better yet, provide IE with these performance enhancements optionally switched on?

Andy

Andy

xequte

38180 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  20:02:35  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Andy

9.1.0 was a performance update, so we looked at many ways to eke out better overall performance. Optional IELib usage (i.e. automatically used if found on the path) was on the cards for investigation (investigate because it is quite lot of work to implement due to way defined classes are setup for JPEG in ImageEn, so we need to check on some modern systems whether it still gets such a performance boost as to make it worth the effort), but then Delphi 10.4 got released and so a few things were pushed back.

This will be investigated for 9.1.1 instead.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.imageen.com
Go to Top of Page

Andy_Bell

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - May 30 2020 :  05:11:28  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel

Thank - yes, that sounds reasonable.

I've now managed to recompile in RAD 2007, although I don't know if it's going to work. I had to reuse some of the headers from the 'normal' install and I don't know if that'll work - but testing will tell me if it does and if the performance improvement is significant.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38180 Posts

Posted - May 31 2020 :  21:24:12  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Andy

Please do some speed comparison testing on your system too and let us know what you find.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.imageen.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38180 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2020 :  00:16:34  Show Profile  Reply
In our tests, it is still significantly faster to use the DLL (35% faster). We won't implement any changes for 9.1.1, which will just be a stability update. But we will look into this for a coming update.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.imageen.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: